It's been a tough winter for a lot of folks and many Americans are ready for warmer weather and ready to hit the open road for a spring trip (can we get an AMEN if you live up East!). Now is the perfect time to get pre-trip vehicle check to help you avoid the inconvenience and potential safety hazards of breaking down miles from home.
Many people might be eager to just jump in their car and drive hundreds of miles without even thinking of checking some basic things before you take off - this is a bad idea. The last thing you want to deal with is breaking down in the middle of nowhere.
We recommend some basic pre-check items to keep you and your family safe for your first trip this Spring:
1. Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Under inflated tires reduce a vehicle’s fuel economy and uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked nails, rocks and bald spots.
2. Check your brakes for squealing and make sure the battery connection is clean, and corrosion-free. If it's got corrosion, get a can of Zep Battery Cleaner.
3. Check your filters and fluids, including engine oil, power steering and brake and transmission, as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant. Dirty air filters can waste gas and cause the engine to lose power.
4. Check the hoses and belts that can become cracked, brittle, loose or show signs of excessive wear. These are critical to the proper functioning of the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering and the cooling system.
5. Check your wipers for excessive wear and make sure you have a clean windshield - it sounds obvious but if you get caught in a rain storm you're going to want your vision to be good. Zep Glass Cleaner does a great job!
Follow these tips to keep you and your family safe during your Spring Trip!
Have questions or topics you want us to address? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.